www.hirntumorhilfe.de
Herzlich willkommen im Forum der Deutschen Hirntumorhilfe!

Thema: Presse: Drug for brain tumor patients

Presse: Drug for brain tumor patients
Stefan[a]
13.06.2004 22:19:42
Healthcast: Drug For Brain Tumor Patients

The following Healthcast report by medical editor Marilyn Brooks first aired June 11, 2004, on Channel 4 Action News

Glioblastoma multiforme, the deadliest of brain tumors, is difficult to get rid of. Researchers have given 30 patients a drug called Tarceva, and they´re looking for a way to make it more effective.

Dr. Jim Goettsch, patient: "I knew what it was right away. I thought to myself, ´I´m dead.´"

As a radiologist, Goettsch knew he had a cancerous brain tumor.

Goettsch: "I knew it was very, very bad."

Pati Goettsch, wife: "He was very upset and he told us, ´It´s like your whole world collapses.´"

For the last year, Jim Goettsch has taken two types of experimental drugs. The latest drug is Tarceva. Early clinical results of 30 patients show the drug seemed to shrink tumors or prevent their growth. But could this drug do more to fight glioblastoma multiforme?

Researchers have learned that most chemotherapy drugs can´t get to the brain very effectively. They travel through the bloodstream but are stymied by the blood-brain barrier, a sort of filter that protects the brain from chemicals and poisons.

Scientists are trying to find a way around the blood-brain barrier. One way that shows promise in the lab is to actually pump Tarceva directly into the tumor.

Dr. Michael Vogelbaum, The Cleveland Clinic: "Delivering directly to the brain has two advantages. One is that you may be able to get more effective concentrations to the tumor. The second is that you avoid the toxicity from the drug to the rest of the body."

Researchers say it could be months before they know whether this type of drug delivery works. If it does, it may ultimately mean a better chance of surviving this deadly brain tumor.

Jim Goettsch has lived months longer than first expected. If this way of potentially curing brain cancer moves outside the lab, he will also sign up for that treatment. Research has given him hope.

Copyright 2004 by ThePittsburghChannel. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Stefan[a]