www.hirntumorhilfe.de
Herzlich willkommen im Forum der Deutschen Hirntumorhilfe!

Thema: Presse: Neue Waffe im Kampf gegen Glioblastome

Presse: Neue Waffe im Kampf gegen Glioblastome
Marion[a]
09.01.2002 21:59:23
Drug May Give Brain Cancer Patients More Time

Doctors have a new weapon in their fight to help treat the nearly 18,000 Americans who are diagnosed each year with a brain tumor.

NewsChannel5 reported that a new drug might offer patients with the most aggressive form of brain cancer more time to live.

Forty-five years ago, Patricia Werzel knew that her future husband, Albert, was the one for her.

"Al walked in and I thought, ´Oh, I wish he (was) my date,´" she said.

They were married in 1949 and were ready to enjoy their golden years when they received news that changed their lives.

"(The doctor) told us what kind of cancer it was and that it´s not curable," Patricia Werzel said.

Albert was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor called giloblastoma multiforme, or GMB.

"The problem with the various treatment approaches is (that) the results are still pretty dismal," said Dr. John Suh, a radiation oncologist at the Cleveland Clinic. "Survival is only 10 to 11 months."

Traditional treatment after surgery is radiation, but along with it, doctors are now testing an added weapon -- a radiation sensitizer..

"If you have a fire, for instance, and you put a little gasoline in the fire, it´s going to get bigger," Suh said. "Well, we hopefully have the same effect with this drug. By giving (the) drug to the tumor, we make the tumor more sensitive to radiation, thereby killing off more of the tumor cells."

A study of 30 patients showed an increase in survival from 10 months to 17 months.

"This would be considered an excellent response to any form of therapy," Suh said.

"We´re working gradually to, hopefully to (a) full recovery," Albert Werzel said.

For now, the Werzels appreciate every additional minute that they have together.

"I guess that was my biggest prayer -- just more time," Patricia Werzel said.

Doctors said that side effects of the treatment are manageable; however, if the tumors grow back, radiation is not possible a second time.
Marion[a]